Sunday 1 May 2016

Quidditch robe I

I've recently been doing a cosplay as a Ravenclaw student in Hogwarts uniform with replica items of uniform, and then thought I wanted to also have a Quidditch kit. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find anywhere which does the replica Quidditch kit (apart from the jumper), and so not satisfied with having to pay taxes for cosplay from China and America, I stupidly decided to embark on the "let's make my own cosplay" adventure/disaster.

I know that usually the first step is to plan a pattern and work out what materials you'd need to make anything. but when I was in London yesterday, I happened to come across some fabric shops in Shepherd's Bush, and so thought I might as well grab what I think I'll need now, and play things by ear as I go along.

The most difficult thing about fabric shopping is trying to find something with a suitable texture and the right colours. I settled on getting my fabrics from Universal Textiles, 35 Goldhawk Road (020 8743 4154) after seeing their blue cotton drill and grey poly cotton. Although the cotton drill felt a bit light, I felt that with it lined with the grey poly cotton, the whole robe should hang quite well. 3 metres of each came to £18.00.

Yes, I know Ravenclaws are meant to be blue/bronze, but I'm making this for a cosplay trip to the Warner Bros Studios in Leavesden (https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/) on 3 December 2016 (There are quite a few of us that have booked - come join us at midday on 3 December 2016 in your Harry Potter cosplays! https://www.facebook.com/events/849443301850887/), therefore I'm going with the blue/silver film colours - would look pretty weird on the green screen photos with Ravenclaw Quidditch tower in blue/silver, and there I am in blue/bronze.

I also picked up some 8mm metal eyelets as well as ordered my Ravenclaw house crest embroidery badge from eBay!

Next step: finding/planning the pattern!


No comments:

Post a Comment